Thursday, June 27, 2013

News! My new boyfriend is the SHADOWMAN.


That vengeful lad in the photo with me is Jack Boniface, also known as SHADOWMAN, a superhero driven by a voodoo loa that possesses him each night, making him invincible so that he can fight the powers of evil.

I like Jack a lot.

And I'm really excited to announce that as a commissioned author with the Amazon Kindle Worlds platform, I've written a 75-page e-novella called FOLLOW ME BOY in the Shadowman universe, a property of Valiant Comics.

Ways that FOLLOW ME BOY is similar to my other works:
* it's dark
* really dark
* but just the tiniest bit whimsical
* there's a monkey in a top hat
* there's a wicked underworld called DEADSIDE
* there's an evil, twisted villain
* there's a strong woman with an unexpectedly dark backstory
* there's a hot, dangerous guy in a costume

Ways that FOLLOW ME BOY IS different from my other works:
* it's far more violent
* it's all about the voodoo
* although the Shadowman universe includes an awesomely murderous rabbit named Hossenfeffer, Hossenfeffer is not specifically featured in my story
* no blood drinking
* no romance or kissing, except between two women, and it's possibly the least hot thing that has ever occurred
* did I mention that it contains traditional comic book violence?

The story will be up some time next week.

As of right now, I have neither link nor cover, but I couldn't wait to share.

Can't wait to introduce you to Jack next week!

Hope he doesn't kill you.

***

6 comments:

Ellie Di said...

HOW COOL IS THIS?! Big congrats, my dear. Looking forward to it.

Anonymous said...

Is the villain based on me?

Virginia Valerie said...

You are awesome and amazing! I look forward to reading it!

Virginia Valerie said...

You are awesome and amazing! I look forward to reading it!

Chenelle said...

Congratulations! Sounds awesome and looking forward to it. Can I ask how much research did you do on voodoo for this piece?

delilah s. dawson said...

Thanks, y'all!

Chenelle, I had about two weeks to turn this piece around, so I read every available Shadowman comic and did a lot of online research focusing on New Orleans voodoo and the things I'd seen in previous issues of Shadowman. I watched several videos of Haitian voodoo ceremonies in the 1930s and 1940s, and although the scenes were originally more true to the research, I ended up toning them down to meet Amazon's requirements. I would be very interested in learning more, and should the opportunity ever arise to write more in this world, I'd love to go to New Orleans and do more reading.