Tuesday, April 17, 2012

wear a book by its cover


See that? Criminy hangin' out with Alexia Tarabotti, Cricket Bell, and Jamie Fraser, characters from three of the books that most influenced my writing career. Thank heavens Pennywise from IT isn't on there, right?

My dear friend Brent sent it to me as a surprise. He said it was cookies.

He lied, but I don't mind.

That's one of my favorite things about the internet. It's possible to find people of like spirit that you would never meet otherwise but whom you are so very glad to have in your life. Brent is going to take over the world one day, I'm sure of it. He's a blogger, a book reviewer, and a publishing intern, all while juggling the perils of high school with admirable poise, grace, and strength.

He's also pretty awesome on Twitter.

When I decided to start writing and get published, I didn't know a single person in the same boat. But the internet is a marvelous place, and I have met so many amazing people, including Brent. Authors, agents, interns, editors, illustrators, bloggers, reviewers, readers. I've found critique partners, allies, shoulders to cry on, people to high five, people to kvetch with, and most importantly, true friends, some of whom I've never met but will one day hugattack and nearly suffocate with my affection.

Thank you so much, Brent. You make me smile all the time.

<3

1 comment:

Ericka said...

That is so awesome, have got to see it in person. Of course you a magnet for awesomeness that is why I hang with you.