Thursday, April 26, 2012

by the power of greyskull

When I looked in the mirror this morning, something was off.

I checked up and down, but nothing jumped out. I tipped my head forward and saw it.



Oh.

The patch of gray had broadened.

I have dark hair, and I found my first white hair when I was 15 at the local Turtles while buying Metallica's Kill Em All for my boyfriend, with whom I watched a disastrous amount of Ren & Stimpy. White hair is no stranger to me. And yet, all of a sudden, it's bothering me. As if before, it was this funny little quirk of mine, having a patch of white hair in the middle of my head. But now that I'm 34, it suddenly makes me feel strange, off, like something's wrong.

And I kind of hate that.

I've had my hair professionally colored a few times, but I don't really like the experience. It takes hours, it's expensive, and it's never exactly what I asked for. So I do a demi-permanent dye from Sally's at home. I use the same color ever time, have a bowl and brush, everything.

And I kind of hate that.

That's the thing about the Great Hair Color Debate, to me.

I'm not happy with either solution.

Half of society tells me to color it and look more youthful.
The other half of society tells me to be proud of who I am and let it grow.
But, honestly? I feel more like myself when all my hair is the same color.

When I was younger, dyeing my hair felt like a treat. I would go deep red, purple, auburn, or inky black. It was something fun to do, something safely rebellious-- which, as we know, is my specialty.

But now? It's just an annoyance. And I get to a day like today, where I feel totally awesome. I mean, 34 is good for me. I look so much better than I did when I was enviably young. And I feel so much better about myself than I did then. But I look in the mirror, and that patch of gray mocks me. Whether I color it or not, I'm acquiescing to a convention that I don't like.

The only solution I can see is getting royal blue dye and splashing that all over the gray. Then it's colored, but not conventionally, and I'm telling everybody exactly where they can jam it.

Damn the man; save the Empire! With hair dye! Or not? Argh!

*

Anybody else having the same problem?

*

8 comments:

Dustin Kreidler said...

Funny. Halfway through I was thinking the Manic Panic Nightshade (super-dark purple) might be a good solution. Slowly fades to a deep red color. Fun, unconventional, and sorta steam-punky.

Tny8 said...

I like his idea. If I go the goofy color route again I would probably go purple since blue fades to green and looks like a bad dye job after a while. I've been coloring my hair black since I was 15. I'm sure I'm gray but I haven't dealt with it yet =/

Spotted Sparrow said...

I can so relate. I've got a patch in the front and every time it starts growing out I think "damn, 35 is way too young for this!". My second instinct is to dye it blue to feel like I'm 20 again. But usually I just put it off until I freak out one morning after a shower, and run to the store to buy whatever box of dark brown is on sale. A good friend of mine loves her grey because it shows her wisdom and experience, but I just can't do it!

delilah s. dawson said...

I'm thinking purple. I've got some purple. Purple?

Dye ALL THE HAIR WEIRD COLORS!

Ericka said...

Buy clever hats!

Ericka said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
delilah s. dawson said...

It's gettin' kinda warm to wear hats, my friend.

p.s. Currently slathered in purple hair dye.

Kate said...

Dye!

We're the same age - I refuse to acknowledge the greys that have started popping out at the sides of my head... Mine was most recently dark mahogany red which has since faded to a lovely coppery color...