Monday, April 30, 2012

50 shades of somethin'

So I'm reading the Fifty Shades of Grey Trilogy, and I have many thoughts on it.

Many. Thoughts.

First of all, I have many criticisms. For one thing, "I don't understand you and I'm afraid you're going to leave me" is not a plot; it's your early twenties. Something needs to happen in the story besides inner turmoil and occasional dramatic dead-ends in the real world. For another thing, without the holy triumvirate of "he's young, he's handsome, he's rich," this book goes nowhere. Take away one corner of that triangle, and there's suddenly no attraction to Mr. Grey that can balance out his ferocious need for domineering kink. And lastly, for now, let's just consider that gettin' jiggy with it 7 times a day for three weeks is more than a little physically unrealistic, even considering that the protagonists are nearly perfect people, outside of their self-abhorrence.

Despite all that, and despite the fact that it's so clearly still Twilight fanfic for the further-along, I can't stop reading it.

And that's why I like it.

Say what you will about Fifty Shades. Say it's poorly written-- it is. Say it has no plot-- it doesn't. Say the characters are just as lame as they were in Twilight, but even more self-obsessed-- it's true. But it's still nearly impossible to put down.

And I think that's fantastic.

Any book that raises this many questions and debates is a good thing, to me. If it gets people reading and, better yet, talking, then it's doing what books were meant to do. Books are meant to elevate us from the dreary circuit of everyday life, to provide an escape and make us question the status quo. And this series does both, if a little inelegantly for my taste.

And also, if Goodreads and mainstream media contain any truth, it's giving staid married people some delightfully dangerous ideas. And we all need delightfully dangerous ideas, from time to time.

So I'm in favor of Fifty Shades of Grey. It ain't perfect, but it serves a purpose, and I appreciate that.

It also makes my book look rather tame, so I blush slightly less, which I also dig.

*

Anyone have any thoughts on 50 Shades? 

*

5 comments:

ChaosMandy said...

I've heard a lot about this book (books?) but I have been unsure about reading it. I've read the Twilight books but I didn't particularly enjoy them. And I don’t really care for books that are 90% smut and 10% story - I prefer it to be the other way around.

Still, I might check it out sometime.

Anonymous said...

It's like "The Instructions" without the depth, wordplay, intelligence, length, suspense, sweetness, violence, and theme.

Also, I haven't read it but it looks terrible.

Sonia Lal said...

I've not read it yet, but I thinking I should to understand why it is so popular. I mean, there are a lot of BDSM male dom, female sub books out there. Why this one?

delilah s. dawson said...

Why this one? If I knew the answer to that, I would OWN THE WORLD.

Seriously, I'm almost done with the second one and have no idea. It's like the Pringles of stories.

Rachel said...

I agree with Sonia - I don't know what kind of deal with devil this chick made in order to get her erotica on the top of the best seller list - but whatever, good for her I guess.

It's fine for an erotica read, but yeah, there is no plot whatsoever and Grey is an ASS. I'm about half way through for a book club and I really don't know what we will have to discuss. Probably the following questions:

1)Can a human really have 7 orgasms in less than 30 min?

2) Exactly how much money would it take to overlook the fact that your boyfriend is a tool?

3) Does Ana have an underlying serious medical condition that causes her to constantly flush? I suspect a circulatory issue.

4) The person to guess the closest to how many times "Holy Shit" is it's own sentence in the book wins a prize! I'm guessing 357.