Monday, January 2, 2012

so that explains a few things.


Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I was born.

Technically, it was 1977 and Atlanta, but whatever.

Most little girls of my generation grew up wanting to be Barbie or Cinderella or Cheetara from the Thunder Cats. But my childhood idol was a purple cat who sang in a nightclub.

See, there was this movie called Banjo the Woodpile Cat. It was one of Don Bluth's many animated films in the late 70s and early 80s that made children cry by showing what happened if you disobeyed your parents or had the bad luck to be an orphan.

In this case, a small and naughty cat named Banjo runs away from his stern parents and ends up nearly dying 60 times before an older cat mentor named Crazy Legs (voiced by Scatman Crothers) tells him how to get home. The part I remember most is when Banjo and Crazy Legs went to a sort of speakeasy/cathouse where three fabulous and colorful cat sisters sang a song.

Now, to be quite honest, I haven't seen this movie since I was 6. I don't actually remember which cat in that picture above is Zazu. I just remember that she was glamorous, sparkly, oddly colored, oddly named, sang well, and seemed to have a hell of a lot of fun.

And that's who I wanted to be.

When other kids on the kindergarten playground would lay claim to being the mommy or the big sister or Jem or Princess Leia or the girlfriend from Thriller, I was always quick to yell that I was Zazu. And no one else had any earthly clue who Zazu was, so I would go play quietly in a corner, shaking my tail and pretending to be a rebellious purple cat and singing sleazy nightclub songs.

Personally, I think that explains an awful lot about my childhood. And my adulthood.

*

Anybody else have a weird childhood idol?

*






9 comments:

Jewels said...

The brave little toaster! Who else?

Anne Riley said...

I wanted to be Feline from the movie Bambi. Remember, it's pronounced Feh-leeen, not feline like a cat. IMPORTANT DISTINCTION.

Anonymous said...

Eddie Murphy. I managed to see "48 hours" when I was WAY too young and went as him for Halloween.

Whitney said...

My middle name is Jo, as is Jo from the Facts of Life. I was not given a middle name when I was born and started writing Whitney Jo on everything in kindergarten/first grade. So my parents eventually made it legal.

Tanya said...

OMG I loved pretending to be Ola Ray with her high heels and glorious Jheri curl!! [girlfriend from Thriller] But I'm pretty sure I thought I was going to be Paula Abdul when I grew up. My cousin called dibs on Janet Jackson =\

Taylor said...

Rogue from X-Men. Jacking up people with my skin WHAT!

delilah s. dawson said...

I didn't want to be Rogue until I hit about 14 and saw a drawing of Gambit/Remy Lebeau. And then... yeah.

amber d* said...

I wanted to be a Lil' Bit. Didn't even have a favorite one. I just thought they were all made of awesome.

delilah s. dawson said...

I don't know what a Lil' Bit is, so I googled it, and I would recommend HIGHLY that no one ever do that, because it's mostly just pictures of a sadly two-faced kitten.

So... what's a Lil' Bit? =D