Sunday, January 8, 2012

signage




See that? It's one of my proudest possessions. A mint condition, hardbound, first edition of the Pennyroyal Edition of Alice in Wonderland, signed to me with warm regards from one of my all-time favorite illustrators, the marvelous Barry Moser.

This was my first signed book, and here is the second.


A signed copy of The Black Doll's Imbroglio by Edward Gorey.

Not personalized, as he was dead by then. I found it at the Gorey shop in New York in 1994, and even though one of my children ripped the dust jacket, she yet lives.

See? I can be merciful.

My third signed book is a copy of Misty of Chincoteague by Marguerite Henry.

And when I started writing and meeting authors, my collection really expanded.


Note: The yellow My Little Pony is Skydancer, who was a gift from author Seanan McGuire. I should have asked her to sign the pony's bum before mailing.

Since I stopped collecting Breyer Horses in middle school, I haven't really collected anything until now. It feels good to gather beautiful things, one by one, to open them and remember what it was like to meet an author I admire. Each of these books tells a story I won't forget.

Recently on Facebook, one of my favorite authors, Matthew Stover, said he wanted a signed copy of my book, and that was possibly the most flattering and twitterpatering thing I've ever heard. I'm still fanning myself. Of course, he has to sign my battered copy of Heroes Die, first.

Anybody else have a signed book they cherish?

*

9 comments:

Christa said...

I have so many for my kids...Eric Rohmann, Candace Fleming, Mark Teague, Kevin Henkes, Mo Willems. I just started doing it for myself---so far, I've got Carrie Harris, Stephanie Perkins, and Simone Elkeles. But 2012 will be a year of win---I'm confident.

Gretchen Alice said...

Ooh, signed Edward Gorey? Majorly jealous.
I've got a personalized Number the Stars that I cherish. And I sorta know Shannon Hale, so hers are always fun because personalized means that they're actually personal. (And someday I hope to get a signed copy of yours, natch.)

ChaosMandy said...

As I make friends with authors my collection of signed books is growing. As well as attending Dragon*Con where authors autograph their books for free.

I think one of my favorites is my autographed copy of "The Last Unicorn"

delilah s. dawson said...

Stephanie Perkins! Peter S. Beagle! I am *SO* jealous of you guys!

And aw, Gretchen! I'll totally sign it! Or send a signed bookplate. Or napkin. There are always napkins. =)

Whitney said...

I have an Annie Leibovitz Olympic Portraits book signed, but my prize (it's kept in the firesafe, actually) is an autographed 40th anniversary hardback edition of To Kill a Mockingbird.

Patty Blount said...

Oh, I do!!

A couple of years ago, my sons presented me with the first two books in Jeff Somers' Avery Cates series for Mother's Day.

I had just begun Tweeting Jeff and decided to try his books - which are WAY outside my typical interests. I like romances. The Cates series is hard-core action-packed sci-fi.

To my total surprise, I ADORED them. I dragged the boys with me for a late-night run to the book store for Book 3.

They DIDN'T HAVE IT!

I tweeted my dismay and Jeff himself offered to send me Book 3. It arrived autographed and now has pride of place on my desk.

It remains my favorite book in the series.

If you haven't read these books or are not following Jeff on Twitter, please do! You won't be disappointed.

delilah s. dawson said...

Patty, I torture Jeff all the time on Twitter. That's not my genre either, but now I want to check it out!

Jewels said...

No, but I always wanted a signed copy of a Mercedes Lackey book. It was her books that inspired my love of reading as a child and I doubt I'd be the same person without them.

jarvenpa said...

I am so, so jealous of your signed Gorey. I have a signed late edition copy of Howl, which I am saving for my daughter (who is a poet and who likes Ginsberg), and random other poets of note, but I think the one I treasure most is a book that used to belong to Elinor Wylie, which she had as a girl and signed her pre-married name on. Something about...I don't know, living with a book that lived with someone, that was loved and worn and read and read and read. That's beyond price.