Wednesday, January 25, 2012

in which I keelhaul reality






What do we do when we don't know what to do?

We put on a costume and pretend to be a steampunk pirate!




It's so much easier than coping.

YARR.




The shirt, Vixen corset, and green stagecoach skirt are from Damsel in this Dress. I was so pleased with everything I purchased from her that I've already ordered another corset-- a black and cream damask underbust to wear with my Steampunk Librarian costume.

The plum skirt is from Park Avenue Thrift store-- $4. The boots are Nine West and not period-quality, as they have zippers and pointy little heels. The hat uses a felt wide-brim hat from Target, purchased on sale for $9 and decorated by me.

One day, I'll do a post on its transformation. Today, I'm just showing off.



Notes on steampunk outfits:

1. They are very layer intensive.
2. There are lots of long, dangly laces that have to be tucked in.
3. They are rather heavy.
4. They sincerely depend on cool accessories, of which I don't yet have enough.
5. They are addictive.
6. Corsets really should return to everyday fashion.

*


9 comments:

Tanya said...

I love corsets! I have not figured out how to pee with them on. That outfit looks heavy and like it would have the same issue - totally worth it!

Ericka said...

You. Look. Awesome.

delilah s. dawson said...

I needed two helpers to pee in my wedding dress, but I think I could do it alone in this get-up, provided it was a handicapped stall.

delilah s. dawson said...

Thanks, Ericka! Has your new corset arrived yet? <3

Virginia Valerie said...

You look awesome. I would totally pirate a dirigible with you. But i need to get some clothes first...

EttyOop said...

WOW! Great outfit :-D

Taylor said...

I agree. Bring back corsets! Without all that gut-mushing and abdominal warping, though.

Pinafores & Pinwheels said...

You look fabulous! YAY you for making the hat too!!

delilah s. dawson said...

Just FYI, y'all, Ericka's new corset is here, and she looks UTTERLY SMASHING. ;)