Saturday, July 9, 2011

chick armor



I'm a pretty normal girl.

That means that I need armor as much as anyone.

Stuff to protect me.

And stuff to hide behind.

For example, this beautiful necklace made by my dear friend Alice.

I commissioned it to remind myself to be tenacious. To never give up.


It's hard to admit defeat when your necklace quotes Mal Reynolds from Firefly.

"No power in the 'verse can stop me."

So I wear that one when I need some extra backbone.

When I doubt myself, or my path.

And I just got these today.




Those were made by another dear friend, Rosy Revolver.
Another artist, another kickass woman with fire in her eyes.

I think they were made to look like a cross between roses and guns.

Guns n' roses.

And I like that.

It takes quite a woman to bend metal to her will.

My work with words seems calm by comparison.

*

But I have I ever told you guys my secret nickname?

Like how Beyonce calls herself Sasha Fierce
when she wants to put on metal mittens and silly boots?

I call myself Tenacious D.

Because I didn't used to be tenacious.

And, honestly, I didn't used to be D.

I had to claim them both for myself.

That's chick armor, too.

*

3 comments:

RosyRevolver said...

Cannot wait to look at you across a table full of good food and drink, laugh in person, and give you one of my rare but incredibly gushy hugs.

Thanks, D.
A kiss and a fist in the air,
J

Alice Istanbul said...

Awesome, Delilah. I love that you've found your tenacity. There's nothing you cannot do, and don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise.

(Jess, hurry up and get down here already) :)

delilah, the unruly helpmeet said...

Seriously, Jess. We all need to go to Canoe. =)