Saturday, May 7, 2011

unruly ink

I did something today that I haven't done since 1998 or so.

I got a tattoo.

To be more accurate, I covered up the one I got in 1998. It was the kanji symbol for eternity.

Mmm. Delicious irony.

So it was this.


Which I swear was very cool and innovative, back in the day when cell phones were the size of Coke cans. I WAS VERY COOL, DAMMIT.

And then I went to Psycho Tattoo in Marietta and met the extremely talented Rob Berrong, who has an awesome vintage Man-E Faces figure on his desk. I brought him a handful of feathers, and he went to work.


And I read Divergent by Veronica Roth on my Nook for a while while my neurons buzzed, and we talked about moms in tennis skirts getting bleeding Edward tattoos.

And in the end, I have this.



So that's much better.

Back when I was just starting the publishing journey, I made myself all sorts of promises.

Sell a book, and you can buy wall-to-wall bookshelves and more books.

Sell a book, and you can get a new tattoo.

Sell a book, and you can go to Disneyworld.

Sell a book and prove that you're an adult, which you just sort of disproved by wanting the same crap you wanted when you were a kid.

In any case, I'm happy. And my neck tickles.

And if you're in the ATL and looking for a great tattoo artist, check out Rob at Psycho Tattoo, which honestly isn't as psycho as it sounds.

8 comments:

stephanie constantin said...

peacock feather! My fave! Good choice :)

and seriously..still waiting on my four leaf clover...I'll buy you a cupcake next binge day

delilah, the unruly helpmeet said...

Steph, you just want me to bring you a 4-leafer? No problem. :)

Virginia Valerie said...

Looks awesome!!! Great work!

Ibby said...

Fantastic choice! Love it!

Southern Belle Mama said...

Very pretty! I recently "added to" my existing dream symbol tattoo that I got years ago to make it a bit more relevant. I wasn't sure how covering it up would go, but yours looks great!

resolute twig said...

Good choice! It looks great.

Tanya said...

THAT is lovely. I may stop in to see Psycho Bob when I'm visiting relatives in Atlanta. I have a horrible tat in the same spot yours is in and I'm a thousand miles from anyone who can fix it.

charissimo said...

Lurve!