Tuesday, May 31, 2011

red light. green light.



Most of the time, I look at my kids and think,

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT'S HOLY, GET BIGGER.

I want them to be older, more reasonable, less likely to fall down the stairs or choke on a hot dog or run out into traffic. I want them to get old enough to quietly make their own breakfast while I sleep in. I want them to be, well... functional.

Then I see pictures like these.



I see my children from a distance, frozen in time, bright and beautiful.

And it takes my breath away.

When they're on you, pawing at you, leaning on you, crying into your shoulder, you can't get the distance to truly appreciate them.

But when you step back, you truly *see* them.

But when you suddenly realize how leggy and coltish they are, how easily they can ride a bike, even with no hands, you understand finally that this stage won't last forever.

That they are, in fact, getting bigger. Getting older.



And you don't really notice, because you're there every day, and because they're always touching you.

And then I stop saying GET BIGGER and start saying ALWAYS BE THIS WAY, NEVER CHANGE, ALWAYS STAY SMALL ENOUGH FOR ME TO HOLD YOU AND KEEP YOU SAFE.

Red light.

Greeen light.

2 comments:

urfaqhesse said...

those are some gorgeous children.

EttyOop said...

SO NOT FAIR TO MAKE ME CRY!!!