Monday, May 30, 2011

a brief foray into seriousness



Some days, like today, I feel like a walking litany of complaints. Emotional, physical, circumstantial. When they say being a parent is the hardest job you'll ever love, they're serious.

It's really, really hard.

And I use my blog to complain about it, hopefully in a funny way that makes other parents feel like they're not alone, because sometimes connection to other suffering adults is the only way we stay sane.

But today is Memorial Day, and it makes me think that there are other, harder jobs that people love but do anyway. There are harder sacrifices. There are people far from their families, living on less sleep and worse food, putting their lives on the line every day. And there are families left behind, mothers raising children alone, fathers who have never seen their babies.

And here I am, complaining. I don't have the guts to be in the armed forces. I have never served in any capacity. But I'm thankful and proud as hell of those who have and do.

The things our servicemen and women have to deal with are so much more difficult, painful, and terrifying than anything I talk about here. It's humbling, that people make such a sacrifice, that people give their lives so that we can be free to blog and kvetch and whine and watch Two and a Half Men and eat ice cream out of the carton while bitching about Newt Gingrich.

Thank you, veterans.

From the bottom of my heart.

We appreciate the freedom you've given us more than words can say.

No comments: