Monday, September 27, 2010

yarr and garr

Remember when I said that things would slow down once preschool started?

Turns out that was a lie.

Things are moving 100 times faster. It's like being on that thing at the carnival where it spins around and then the floor drops out and your stomach hits the roof of your mouth and you're afraid that if you scream, your teeth and gallbladder will fly out and smack someone.

But I get SIX WHOLE HOURS to myself each week, so that's nice. I spend a lot of it running errands and cleaning and waiting in line at the post office, but I also spend some of it eating beignets and drinking chicory coffee on the porch with dear friends, so I'm not going to complain.

Anyway, two things happened last week when I was ignoring you.

1. Uncle Robert came to visit.


Uncle Robert is very cool. He dresses up like a pirate and drives a carriage in downtown Savannah. He also raises parrots and likes oddities and antiquities as much as I do. He brought us sporks and funny hats.


See why we like him so much? He also brought the biscuit two tail feathers from his macaws, which she promptly stuck in her underpants and proceeded to call herself a peacock.

We even let La Biscuit take the camera for a moment.


2. t.rex finally got a guitar, a.k.a. GARR, a.k.a. MY GARR MY MICK MINE MINE MINE.


Yes, friends, he's entered the annoying stage. The one where they're cute and amazing until they have screeching fits at the drop of a hat, usually in public. The one where they take off their diapers and pee on things for fun. The one where they think everything is MINE.

But lordy, that boy loves music, which he calls MICK. He carries that guitar with him everywhere and sings along. It makes me so happy, to think that one of my kids could be a starving artist musician one day.


He makes that face a lot.

And in case you're getting all handsy, things that t.rex declared were MINE this week include every stuffed animal in the house, the piano, his guitar, my guitar, my new brown shoes, the free cake samples at SuperTarget, the electric plant, and the rain.

Yes, THE RAIN. MINE. MINE RAIN.

Le sigh.

At least he's cute.

Oh, and I also got a new computer and abused my parents' dog.


Abusing Lovey mainly involves blowing air in her bulging red eyes and telling her that no one loves her, she'll never compare to my childhood dog Aunt Bea, and that my parents only keep her around to fatten her up and eat her. I think it keeps her on her toes. And it's a better relationship than most people have with their sisters.

I also read four books by Cassandra Clare, and I totally recommend them. City of Bones, City of Glass, City of Ashes, and Clockwork Angel. Like falling into Wonderland.

Now what do I read?

9 comments:

Kimberly Pauley said...

We were leaving Target the other day and The Max yells out at the people going in: "Get out my Target!"

I think I can safely say he's in that stage too.

K A B L O O E Y said...

He is too, too, cute, however. Lucky him. Because the tantrums have to stop before the cute does. Also: I wish my brother dressed up like a pirate. Who wouldn't?

Allie said...

Just read those Clare novels myself!

Have you read Graceling by Kristin Cashore, or the Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr?

stephanie constantin said...

Caiden makes that exact same expression!

Carrie said...

Have you read Marked by P.C.Cast and Kristin Cast? There are 7 books in the series so far...I'm dying for #8

Also I love Magic burns by Ilona Andrews. The series is set here in Atlanta, which makes it fun.

Delilah S. Dawson said...

Graceling, yes. Loved it. Wicked Lovely = no. Should I? I picked up the next Vampire Diaries, but I'm not madhouse on it like I was the TMI series.

Robert D. said...

Loves hats? Did that picture say loves hats? Delilah, you hit the nail on the head with that one. How better to fix a bad hair day? Hat, glasses, mustache wax... a lightly contrived accent... Perhaps some airey banter, whot?

Virginia Valerie said...

Love your hair!

Really, he takes off his diaper and pees everywhere? hmm. rethinking kids for a moment... Ok, moment over.

Pirates are great.

Someday when i learn how to read fast i want to be a beta reader for you.

Allie said...

Wicked Lovely is excellent. There are 4 books in the series so far.

The Vampire Academy books by Richelle Mead are also quite great.

Oh, and the Beautiful Creatures series by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. I think there are only two of this series out yet, but I really enjoyed them.