Wednesday, September 15, 2010

WOE is my LAP

My laptop DIED.

My day sucked.

Also, I was turned into a newt.

I'm just saying that if anybody is looking for a blogger with a heart of gold to review and/or flaunt a laptop of any sort, PLEASE HIT ME UP. I can TOTALLY BE BOUGHT, because I have a book to finish and random helicopters and parasites and zombie facts to Google.

Or perhaps I have a blog reader who just so happens to be a hermit millionaire. Hermit millionaire, YOUR TIME HAS COME!

And now I'm going to go cry myself to sleep on my Nook.

Blogging and happiness will be sporadic until New Laptop Boyfriend arrives on some sort of gilded cloud surrounded by angel trumpets and a contract that requires a signature in blood.

Or maybe in a box from w00t.


*


On an unrelated note, does anyone know why a laptop would refuse to start up? No crashing, no blue screen, no viruses. I put it on sleep last night, and this morning, it wouldn't turn on. You press the button, and it lights up for 2 seconds, then beeps and goes off. I tried removing the battery, inserting a new mega-battery, and doing a magical medicine man dance.

7 comments:

Janet said...

My boyfriend says take the battery out, take the power cord out, then remove the memory card. Then re-insert memory, then re-insert battery and power cord. He says sounds like memory got "unseated." Otherwise he says maybe the power cord isn't putting out any power, so isn't charging the battery.

delilah, the unruly helpmeet said...

I tried to find the memory card, but I'm not seeing anything that looks like a removeable card. I even popped open the little panels on back with a screwdriver, but nothing looks popable. Just like Transformers guts.

The power cord is relatively new, as the old one died. And when it's plugged in, the "charging" light comes on.

Argh.

Thanks for ongoing help!

moontube said...

Hi Delilah,

How many beeps do you get when you try to turn it on? Are they long beeps or short beeps, kind of like Morse code? The number and type of beep tells you what is wrong. Your laptop documentation should decode this for you.

Delilah S. Dawson said...

Thanks, moontube.

The tiny little instruction book that came with it doesn't say anything except "make sure it's plugged in."

The battery light on the front is entirely lit. When you push power, the power light comes on for a second with one short beep.

thanks... Angela said...

I am a lurker but have to post because I am having the same problem with mine. I think mine is the battery though it has been telling me it was dead for awhile and I think it finally gave out. I also just got a new plug in recently too so that is odd we both have new plugs with same issue. I hope you/we get an answer soon as I too need a fairy godmother/father to help me out :D

Delilah S. Dawson said...

2 people have now told me it is a fried mainboard/power issue. Looks like I'll be buying a new laptop today. =(

But that's okay, because IT'S ALMOST MY BIRTHDAY!

hotpants™ said...

My laptop has power, but won't boot up at all. It's the worst thing like ever.