Monday, February 8, 2010

reel big artist


Hello, Blackberry and Keharr and nice new box of pastels. Have I ever mentioned that Watership Down was my favorite book in second grade, and that it continues to capture my imagination as an adult? Nothing like a bunch of British bunnies to warm my cold, black heart.

And I thought you might like to see little snippets of my studio, along with the paintings. I remember when I was young, and I thought that an artist's studio was upstairs and tidy and full of light and empty canvases.

Ha.

Your studio is wherever you can work. Mine is almost always messy. When I'm creating, I'm not cleaning up behind myself. In fact, at my first post-college job, that was the boss's only complaint about me: When she's creating, she's messy. Ten years later, and that review still rankles. But it got me a raise-- I made a whopping $25,000 a year!

Which is more than I make now, but still... in today's market, I could make more flipping burgers. Back then, I paid $650 a month for a one-bedroom apartment next to an old drunk who knocked on my door at 3am to give me lamps and then peed on my car.

I've come a long way, but I'm still a messy artist.

But that's okay, because my boyfriend still loves me.

Oh, you didn't know I have a boyfriend?

Shh. Don't tell Dr. Krog.

He's good-looking and well-made, and he hugs me in all the right places, and I luuuuuuurve him.


That's right. My new boyfriend is a baby carrier, the Babyhawk Oh Snap! that I'm reviewing for www.coolmompicks.com. Tomorrow is our first date. I'll let you know how it goes, probably at great length, whether you like it or not.

Because when it comes to carriers, I do kiss and tell. Not Krogs, though.

That's personal.

4 comments:

miss. chief said...

You know, I've never read Watership down. And it's sitting right there on the bookshelf crying it's poor little book-eyes out. I should get on that hey?

Cielo Azul Jewelry said...

My studio is a hole in a wall, but I always have to clean up after myself. One day I will get a little shack in the back yard=0) I just love all your pastels and new front pack!

Delilah S. Dawson said...

BTW, the post is titled "reel big artist" because I was going to post about the ska band Reel Big Fish, but I changed my mind. Oops. Not quite as funny or pertinent this way.

Jennifer said...

I love baby carriers. My baby is now about 30 pounds and almost two. For some reason I feel he is too big to carry (because it kills me) and that makes me sad.