Tuesday, February 9, 2010

oh, rikki, you're so fine.


Today's paintings are in honor of Rudyard Kipling and his creations, Rikki Tikki Tavi and The White Seal. I can almost smell the 9 grains of popcorn on a brown paper towel on my desk as I settled in for a 4th grade movie. Ahhhh. The 1980's were good, and I am old.

Which brings to mind a bad joke.

Man: Do you like Kipling?
Other man: I don't know. I've never kippled.

HA HA HA HA HA. British people are funny!

So I'm brain dead, and I have a question.

I've got 10 or so paintings thus far, and I can't quite figure out what to do with them. Save them for a show next year, or start selling them in my Etsy shop? Or should I save these for the show, and do something more marketable in the same style for the Etsy shop?

Or, maybe I should first ask... would anyone want to actually buy them, and how much would you pay?

I'm not looking for commitment here, or even compliments, although I wouldn't turn 'em down. Mainly, I'm curious if they would actually sell. My last foray into "make something to sell on Etsy" was a major failure, so I clearly can't anticipate the industry. Maybe I should do some woodburnings of Edward and Bella? I don't know.

I'm good at making art, but I suck at selling it.

And now I'm either going to go bake cookies or take a bath. But not both at the same time.

That's just silly.

10 comments:

Cielo Azul Jewelry said...

I think all your stuff is super cute. How did none of your stuff sell? Hmmmmmm, maybe you should do an open house and have friends bring friends over for cocktails. Nothing bad can come of that......right? Someone will buy some and then other people will see it up on display at their house. Try that! The worse thing that can happen is that you have a fun cocktail party=0)

Jennifer said...

I think they are super cute, but like you, I don't know jack about selling stuff. The only reason I would think that they wouldn't is because they are not main stream. KWIM? Like they are not Micky Mouse and Dora and Disney Princess, which you couldn't do even if you wanted to. Originality is not as appreciated as it should be.

kim-ber-mah-finz. said...

I'll add another "They're super cute!"
Also, they scream etsy!!! in my opinion. But, the problem with etsy is that you have to be all community involved, advertise yourself, and generally be very excited. Which is hard. Luckily, you have a good blog where people read your hilarity and they'll think to themselves, "Oh she is funny I should buy her artwork to remind me of her humor."
Maybe Dr. Krog can be your financial adviser/etsy minion.

Alice Istanbul said...

I can teach you some tricks about selling on Etsy that might help...

I've been thinking of commissioning a little painting or 2 from you...but I need to decide what animal(s) I'd like. I'll get back to you on that...

Jackie Savi-Cannon said...

The painting were very good, I do enjoy going to an art galleries. I enjoy new artists and just walking around and viewing.
Thanks for sharing.

Julie said...

I would buy Alice stuff as I am a collector. I would hit me up in the summer when funds are more plentiful.

Alice Istanbul said...

How about an old school style Cheshire cat? I'd love to have that crescent moon grin of his smile down upon me in my studio...

And a hooka-smokin' caterpillar on a mushroom, too.

I would love those!

Julie said...

This is what I am sayin Alicia =)

I actually have Alice bedding for Poppy's room. I will have to move into a larger house first... and hope she digs Alice.

hotpants™ said...

I'm horrible at pricing things, but I think they'd sell if marketed correctly.

Twilight stuff sells like hotcakes on Etsy.

Alice Istanbul said...

Julie, where did you find Alice bedding? Is it Disney's Alice or classic Alice?