Thursday, February 4, 2010

CRE8N 4EVR


First I was an artist, and that was pretty cool. Then I went to art school, which was mostly lame. Then I worked in a gallery, then a garden, then a gallery, then a cube, then a worse cube, then a gallery.



Then I had a one-woman show while pregnant, had a baby, quit painting, got pregnant again, started painting again, had a baby, and had a one-woman art show while carrying around a baby and looking like a puffy rhino.


So that's easy to keep up with.

Then... I started writing. And I quit painting. And I wrote two books and a short story and started two more books. And as research, I started reading again, and I started falling in love with characters and creatures.

And now I'm back to painting.



And still writing. But I'm going to try to do 1 little wooden painting every day until February 2011, when I hope to have an exhibit at The Art Place - Mt. View again to celebrate Children's Book Month. I did one in 2004 and covered the back wall in an 8-foot tall mural.


It was a lot of fun. We had the librarians from next door come over to do readings, and elementary school kids walked over from class, and all the kids at the reception got to help paint a stand-up cut-out of The Library Dragon.

So, I'd love to hear everyone's favorite characters from kids' books.


But not necessarily picture books, because if I try to sell a painting of Olivia, they'll sue the pants off of me, and I like most of my pants these days.

Plans thus far include all of the rabbits from Watership Down, Bunnicula, the Jungle Book critters, characters from The Phantom Tollbooth, that sort of thing.

Ready... go!

22 comments:

Cielo Azul Jewelry said...

I really love these paintings!!! VERY nice work=0)

My parents never read to me as a child.....yeah they sucked, hahahahaaa!!!

Anonymous said...

The Pokey Little Puppy.

I loved that book.

charissimo said...

Reepicheep! There will be more.

charissimo said...

Louis from The Trumpet of the Swan. For sure Iorek (you mentioned armored bears) from the Golden Compass Series (almost named the draft horse Iorek).

James said...

Sonny from Unfortunate Events, the wheel animals from Amber Spyglass, and so many more. Ill get back to you.

Anonymous said...

Peter from The Snowy Day

-Tiff

RosyRevolver said...

The little golden books . . . I loved the Berenstain Bears.

And Winnie the Pooh. (Yeah, I know, shut up.)

And any of the classic Mother Goose stuff.

I think all my childhood books were passed down from my folks . . .

OH, and you rock for committing to a year of paintings. Go girl. Can't wait to see!

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

Fantastic Mr Fox!!! And Laura from Little House on the Praire, and Willie Wonka.

Delilah S. Dawson said...

These are all awesome suggestions. Char, I had totally forgotten Reepicheep, which makes me think of that series about the animals that were monks and swashbucklers and had swords and I can't remember it ARGH!

Also, Dr. Krog is already giving me crap about being manic and making promises. I reminded him that I did over 200 belly paintings in 4 months last year, so I should definitely be able to do 365 in a year.

Suck it, Doc Krog. Eat your cheesecake bites and can it.

Beth said...

Ribsy (Beverly Cleary)... Azlan, or any cool Narnia characters, Black Beauty or the Black Stallion.

Alice Istanbul said...

A wooden painting a day, that's great! We could have a private exhibit of your paintings and my rings :)

Wait. Did you paint that mural? Like *paint* it?

My parents never really read to me (sad, I guess that explains my relationship with books today).

Amelia Bedelia, Alice in Wonderland, Little Red Riding Hood.

Delilah S. Dawson said...

Yep, Alice, I started with no plan whatsoever and a huge pile of books. Didn't even draw it out with pencil, just worked directly on the wood panels with black paint. It was so much fun, like a giant coloring book!

charissimo said...

You could ROCK Reepicheep, D. In fact, I'll totally buy that one from you, because he's gonna be my kid's favorite too. I just know it.

Wendy said...

Pippi Longstocking!

Alexis said...

My mother read us Charlotte's Web and the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings Trilogy multiple times when my brother and I were kids. We all cried at the end of Charlotte's Web and the Hobbit every time.

Virginia Valerie said...

OMG I LOVE the animal paintings on wood!!! They are so fantastic!

And that mural is breathtaking. Sometime you should participate in an fMRI study so scientists can study how your brain works. You are so talented!!!

stephanie said...

I was thinking of Charlotte's Web also...the whole Narnia series...James and the Giant Peach...animals from Aesop's Fables...The Little Red Hen...Chicken Little...

K a b l o o e y said...

LOVE your work. Must investigate further. As far as kids book characters, definitely Milo and Tock,

Alice Istanbul said...

Wow, Delilah!!! You are like DaVinci. I'm not kidding.

Jennifer said...

You are so talented and cool! Audrey is obsessed with the pigeon books by Mo Willems. Ewan loves "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs."

Carrie said...

What about The Velveteen Bunny? and I loved the book "Ann like Red" (RED, RED, RED!)

Mother Goose nursery rhymes would work well too....

Katiri said...

Reep looks AWESOME! How bout the Ugly Duckling? most your animals are ugly, beautiful, duckinglish, right?