Wednesday, December 2, 2009

sense and sensibility and mustard (and sea monsters)


Today, I did something strange.

Something I could never have anticipated.

I bought a mustard-colored sweater from Kohl's.

I hear you gasping out there. Mmm hmm. But it's true.

I have always believed that any shade of yellow makes me look like a zombie, but this one is more... butternut. More "khaki with a bad spray tan". I don't know why, but it just struck me. And it was on sale for 50% off.

And it reminds me of how wonderful it is to change as a person, to remain mutable and flexible. When I was sixteen, everything was so black or white. Especially my wardrobe. There was no middle ground, only passionate beliefs.

I'm reading Sense and Sensibility for the first time, and Marianne reminds me so much of myself back then. Don't get me wrong-- I've watched the movie forty-hundred-thousand-bajillion times, mostly when enjoying a "sick day", where "sick day" means "I've got raging cramps and took the day off to scarf a cupcake shaped like a Maltese while relaxing in bed and watching Stench and Stenchability for the forty-gormillionth time".

But that's Marianne to a fault-- young, foolish, impassioned, 100% positive that her feelings and beliefs are the only ones worth having. Elinor seems so cold and dead inside, comparatively. Later, of course, we learn that she feels things just as deeply but wisely holds her tongue for the benefit of herself and her family. In the end, they both find happiness, although I have my doubts for the joyful double wedding at the end of Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters.

My point here is that it's good to have some Marianne and some Elinor. The passion and the practicality. But what's most important, for me, is being able to move between them fluidly without feeling silly for past mistakes or imperfect passions.

If you're going to eat crow, make it into a delicious pot pie and post the recipe and freeze the leftovers.

So here's my crow sammich. I have sworn up and down that I would never wear yellow. My entire life, I've looked down on yellow and turned up my nose at the thought of someone actually designing a garment in that color. I have always hated yellow.

But you know what? This sweater looks totally kickass.

To love this sweater is to burn-- to be on fire-- like Juliet or Guinevere or Eloise.

Or really, really hot and spicy mustard.

12 comments:

One Cluttered Brain said...

I don't do yellow well at all. But U manage to pull is off quite nicely. Glad U found a winner at Kohl's...:)

Alissa said...

I've had an up and down relationship with yellow. As a kid there was a period where yellow was my favorite color (it is my niece's favorite color and she is also the only other person in the family who likes spicy foods so we must be soul sisters). By eighth grade when we had to wear the god-awful ugly yellow (technically gold, but they were piss yellow, no doubt about it) graduation gowns I hated those gowns which made everyone of us girls looks all washed out and sallow. I realized the other day, when trying to find something to wear that I must be back into yellow as I have several yellow tops.

RosyRevolver said...

Ah, such a good post. And you, Ms. Mustard, look fabulous in yellow, or "lellow" as my kid likes to say.

Love the quote about eating crow. So true. I can't count the number of times I've done something I had sworn up and down I would never do. Or eat. Or say. Or attend. Or marry. Or . . .

: )

You totally cut the mustard and wear it well too.
Rock on, D!

K a b l o o e y said...

I love me some Kohl's. And you just reminded me I have $10 in Kohl's bucks to spend. That'll pay for a whole outfit. Maybe not in yellow, but who knows? I'll go looking for some.

Ericka said...

I am drowning in the imagery of your post tonight. Yellow is the current obsession of my 3 yr old (and she loves spicy food so Alissa may have another soul sister). I usually dismiss Jane Austin as pre-TV soap operas, but just last night was comparing my little sister to an Austin character, and my single sister-in-law, who has a friend on Facebook named "Mr. Darcy", once starred in a Movie about a sea monster. I think I need to read more.

leigh said...

You look smashing! I love all Jane Austen novels. The woman was the original badass!

XO
Leigh

urfaqhesse said...

I wore orange to my brown wedding - ORANGE. And i looked HAWT.
And i love pink - ME! PINK!
glorious freedom from self-persecution.
Inertia be damned!

urfaqhesse said...

oh, and that color looks fabulous on you.

Virginia Valerie said...

Dear Col. Mustard, I bet you look good in all kinds of yellow, not just this one. Hurray for branching out! I gotta try that.

Miss Dot said...

YESSSS!!! Way to think outside of your self-imposed box!!

P.S. -- Pride and Prejudice is my Sense and Sensibility. And I prefer Pekingese cupcakes myself.

Cara and Jenn said...

I would never do yellow it would make me look monochromatic...but it looks good on you!Cara

Alicia Istanbul said...

Butter is yellow. And butter is love. So you can't go wrong.