Tuesday, December 1, 2009

dreamery with melted butter


I have many dreams. Most of them involve happy times with my family, a growing body of visual art, and seeing my books in publication. The really sweet ones involve a horse in the backyard.

The dreams I had last night were more like this:

Last night, I dreamed that we were vacationing in Grand Cayman when a typhoon arrived. The water level of the ocean was rising quickly, and everyone piled into dinghies and headed for this gigantic cave filled with bare, dead trees. And all over the trees and the slimy, black walls of the cave were tiny, slimy, sticky baby octopi. To survive the typhoon, we had to cling to the bare tree branches and let the baby octopi suck on us.

But here are some lovely pictures of my dreamy day to take your mind off slimy parasitic baby octopi and terrifying trashcrabs.*



That's better. What else?


Ah, sweetness. There's more, though?


But what is that thing in the picture?

Is that... a mogwai?


Why, yes. Yesh it is. We found Jonesy in our Christmas tree yesterday morning. Which prompted this letter, actually:


That tree is soooo much more magical and sparkly in real life, you know. I love a tree decorated by a toddler's muse.

Speaking of which, she's quite the photographer.



That's all I've got, folks. It was a day filled with:



* Not to be confused with "Cash Cabs".**

** The tiny writing on the crab pic says "p.p.s. good with melted butter?", which explains the title of the blog post. If I could get over my fear of the coconut crab, I think I would really enjoy eating him. Maybe.

9 comments:

Becky said...

Ok, that thing on the trash can is giving me the hebejeebies and I'm sure now that I will be dreaming about it tonight...thanks...NOT! LOL

Alicia Istanbul said...

Hee hee, cute. Glad you had a happy day :)

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

Ok - seriously was that crab real? or was that photoshopped? because if if it is real i might be afraid to go to the trashcan for awhile...

BTW - your blog is like happy sunshine and rainbows in my day! (minus the scary crab!)

delilah, the unruly helpmeet said...

That coconut crab is very real, friends. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_crab

DysFUNctional Mom said...

Your dreams sound like mine! I'm so sorry.
But I'm glad the waking times make up for it!

Leslie said...

You made me laugh right out loud, but there was no one to hear. Thanks again.

Tater Tot Mom said...

Looks like a great day and I love your tree. I have notoriously weird dreams too!

K a b l o o e y said...

Love every bit of this post. Can I have a playdate with your daughter? Wait, that sounds creepy. I want to bring my kid and hang out with your kid -- you guys look like THAT much fun. I can't pile drive because I have a bad back, but I'm sharpening my knee-drop of death skilz.

urfaqhesse said...

OMG GIVE ME SOME BISCUIT AND REMOVE THAT IMAGE OF THE COCOMUT CRAB FROM MY BRAIN. k thanks