Monday, November 2, 2009

10 by 50


Last night, I was reading an In Style magazine from February 2008. That magazine is so old that the baby in Halle Berry's pregnant tummy on the cover is probably driving a car by now. At least, February 2008 *feels* that long ago.

Anyway, there was an article in there about connecting with your boyf or BFF or man-toy or, like, whatever. And amid several super helpful tips about g-spots and texting, it mentioned that if you wanted to make a truly heartfelt connection and really get to know a guy, you should ask him deep questions. Thoughtful questions.

Groundbreaking, I know.

And the example question was: What is one thing you want to do by the time you're 50?

So, being me, I turned to Dr. Krog and asked him that ultra-deep, thought-provoking question. And he answered it, suprising me. And then he asked *me* the same question. So I've been thinking about it, and here are 10 things I want to do by the time I'm 50, in no particular order.

1. Take ice skating lessons.
2. Go rock climbing.
3. Go to a dude ranch and be a real cowboy for a week.
4. Go west and see buttes, canyons, and cacti.
5. Bag a deer and eat it. (After it's been processed, of course. None of that "eating the liver raw to strengthen your warrior spirit" stuff. Well, probably not.)*
6. Be a published author.
7. Have an art exhibit at a professional gallery.
8. Learn how to paint encaustic.
9. Learn how to scuba dive.
10. Travel around the world with Dr. Krog, even if he grumbles the whole time.

Anybody else want to share their list?

Oh, really? Uh huh. Hmm. That's fascinating.

So now I feel that we've made a deep, heartfelt connection, and I will buy you a Cosmopolitan and ogle your goodies. Because that's the way dates work, right?


*Sorry if you're grossed out. I eat meat mainly because Dr. Krog eats loads of it, and my share is just collateral at that point. But I hate the meat industry and slaughterhouses and the fact that meat comes to us as anonymous, easy slabs on styrofoam trays. I prefer the taste of wild game, and I want to feel the connection to my ancestry and the earth, to actually know what it feels like to provide your own food. And, yeah, I'd like a freezer full of venison.

14 comments:

Leslie said...

My, my, my Delilah. You slay me. Thanks for the laugh and spewed tea...

Jeremy, Brandi, Josie, Rhett, & Rheve said...

Funny stuff! I need to write out my "bucket list" soon! Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier. Come back anytime!

Caroline D. said...

1. have a regular meditation practice
2. have my own house, preferably white, not too big, with a garden that somebody else maintains.
3. become so comfortable in the kitchen that I'd rather cook than go out to eat
4. be rich enough that I can go out to eat whenever I want.
5. join a tennis team.
6. find the short haircut that doesn't accentuate my double chin or make me look like a lesbian.
7. see the Mediterranean sea.
8. have discovered my vocation.
9. find the perfect sectional couch.
10. have reasonably well adjusted kids who don't hate me.

When do you want to buy me a drink?

Anonymous said...

I want to learn to surf well.

Beth said...

1. Give birth two more times.

2. Adopt two more times.

(Yep. that would make at least 8 kids in our clan.)

3. Own a horse.

4. Have an extremely successful and sought after photography business.

5. Have my photographs published in a national magazine.

6. Go on a missions trip to help an orphanage.

7. See the Grand Canyon.

8. Become a grandmother (but not before I'm 47...)

9. Buy a farm to retire on.

10. Have a deeper relationship with my father.

JoeyRes said...

I would like to go west of Indiana. I live near Pittsburgh. I am that wild.

Sam said...

Love you're list, better get started right away. You're gonna be busy! Thanks for sharing. '

Keri
www.samwich365.com

The Expatresse said...

I love venison.

I love meat. But I like all my food to be Happy Food, you know.

P.S. Happy SITS Day.

Jeannie Finelli, RN said...

Oh, yeah. I love connecting with dudes. My typical "heartfelt connection" goes like this:

Me: [insert philosophical preponderance]

Him: "I think about that a lot... complicated." [insert more inane muttering and trailing off]

Me: "OK. That's deep." [so deep I'm pulling on boots]

Him: "I'm deep. And YOU, your beautiful boobs, um, I mean EYES [and I'm uncertain of their color] are the tickets--that's right, isn't it?-- to, er, something. Can we get naked?"

Guys. Rocking my world. *sigh*

My bucket list: an authentic heartfelt connection. :)

Mindi @ B.A. Bookworm said...

Well said! I like your list. I'll have to think of my own now.

Amber Page Writes said...

Love your list. I'm not sure I could ever shoot Bambi, but I do enjoy eating them.

And yes, I am aware that I'm a hypocrite.

Stopping by from SITS, but dude, I'm totally a follower now.

Oh, and I'd write out my list here, but I think I might steal the idea. :-) But give credit, of course.

Kim Living Life said...

funny funny gald I stopped by from SITS I'll see you again I think I like your style and hey girl don't give up chasing those darn editors one day it will happen

Michelle said...

I have "Things I want to do before I die list". I am adding to it as things come up but off the top of my head:

1)learn to sew (I have completed 2 sewing classes in the last month)
2)learn to play piano
3)take more dance lessons (hubby and I are taking a dance lesson next week)
4)travel to Europe
5)skydive(although I am somewhat afraid of heights)
6)take a cruise
7)take my kids to Hawaii

I thought I wanted to learn to scuba dive but after my last snorkeling experience I am not so sure. I don't love the feeling of breathing through a tube.

Great list!

piecemeal people said...

There are definitely some Things on my List. But I'm kind of afraid to write them down because I'm worried I won't get to 10 and then I'll feel crappy inside because I can't even think of 10 things I want to do before I'm 50.