Monday, October 12, 2009

unruly conundrum: who's chloe?


I don't know who Chloe is, but it's not my child.

When she's scripting, playing with her toys and practicing different phrases, one that has come up a lot recently is "Don't call me Chloe". When she says it, her eyebrows come down, and there's a quiet, serious ferocity in her voice. And I finally found out why.

Her teacher calls her Chloe.

She did it twice in front of Dr. Krog and I tonight at Preschool Open House. And the poor little dude was wearing a name tag!

I know our child's name is unusual, but it's not a difficult name. There aren't even any hyphens or umlauts. It's four letters, two syllables. And her teacher sees her for 9 hours a week. That's over 45 hours so far, and she apparently still calls my poor daughter by the wrong name most of the time.

And I'm not sure what to do about it. The teacher is obviously not doing it on purpose, she just knows someone named Chloe, and that name overrides my child's name. But it is affecting my poor little Biscuit, who doesn't like it a bit. Now that she's learning the terror of Time Out at school, she is scared to speak up and/or sass the teacher. And we're not the sort of parents to make a fuss, email the director, or send the child to school in a shirt with her name stitched on it in huge, capital letters. And we love the school, and we love the teachers.

And yet.

It's such a fragile, special time for a little dude. She's learning that she's her own person, developing her sense of self. She's a girl who likes skirts, hair bands (the accessory, not the White Snake), Care Bears, and pizza. And she deserves to be called by her own name, not constantly hearing someone else's name and an apology.

What can I say? It's a conundrum.

But I'm not changing her name to Chloe, because I used to live next to an insane Jack Russell Terrier named Chloe, and she barked all the time, and she had dogtitties that dragged the ground, and I just can't do that to my child. So I guess the t-shirt is our next best option, really.

8 comments:

Leslie said...

Whatever her name is, she's a beauty...

mamamilkers said...

Oh my. I would be mad. I think a t-shirt with her name on it, in LARGE letters, is very appropriate. Wow.

M family said...

Well, t-shirt might not do it, since the spelling of the name is probably the trigger for the wrong name. If she was older or if there were no time-outs I would say teach her not to respond to the wrong name. Otherwise, it's sounds like your little one is smart cookie and you maybe you can try and explain that Ms. WrongNameCaller is just too old, too busy, too whatever and does not do it on purpose.

Motherhood Uncensored said...

Please get a shirt that says:

"I'm Not Chloe" because that would be awesome.

On the flip side, be proud that she says something about it. When I was tested out of kindergarten (because I am sooo smart - heh), they kept calling me the wrong name to see if I'd say anything.

See, she's BRILLIANT.

Also, people are dumb. So there's that.

Nonnie said...

I have a reserved seat on the geezer bus (3rd from the rear, on the driver's side), and people still call me Ginny, which is not my nickname. To my dismay, I said my beloved grandchild's name incorrectly a couple of weeks ago. I apologized immediately, and I think your child's teacher owes her an apology, too. Names are important. However, in these times, no child should have his/her name on any article of clothing just so that no stranger can know the name and convince the child that the stranger is a friend.

charissimo said...

Email her a link to this post.

delilah, the unruly helpmeet said...

Well, the good news is that we have wonderful friends who felt the Biscuit's sadness. One buddy emailed the teacher, and one emailed the Director. I suspect the Biscuit will be hearing her name quite a bit tomorrow. =)

Thanks, guys!

EttyOop said...

Poor little biscuit! :-( Hope things are better by now (I'm a bit behind on my blog reading! eep!)