Saturday, October 17, 2009

godzilla 2009


What do you think when your parents show up at your house unexpectedly at 9am?

I assume someone is dead, because I'm southern, and that's the way we roll.

Luckily, today, I was wrong.

My parents chose a really cool birthday gift for me this year: they bought all the bushes I wanted for the front yard, and my dad dug all the holes for them and designed the lawn, and then after we planted everything and he weed-eated-ate everything, mom watched the kids while I painted the mural I have longed to create for t.rex's room.

And THEN, at 4pm, we ate a huge smorgasbord of my and my dad's favorite foods, including ribs, creamed corn, fried okra, black-eyed peas, cornbread, macaroni and cheese, and red velvet cake. How cool is that?

And the Biscuit got to help me with the mural, just like I got to help my mom with the mural in my room when I was 3. See?


You're probably wondering why she never had a mural in her room. And I don't have a good answer for that. She has a lot of custom artwork, but the more girly topics just don't appeal to me for the long haul. I'm more "Where the Wild Things Are", while she's more "Beauty and the Beast VII: Revenge of the Glittery Purple Anthropomorphised Tiara".

But she had fun in her brother's room today.


She also got to bake pumpkin cookies with her Nina. And she forced her Nina to read 932 books to her today. And I got to listen to every one of them. Including Barbie and the Three Idiotic Musketeers, aka. The Worst "Book" Ever Written. Twice.

But the kids had a great time, and I had a great time, and my yard looks amazing, and t.rex's room is cool. For the last 3 weeks or so, as I've been rocking him to sleep, I've looked at his curtains and thought, "I want to decorate more, but baby blue zoo animals aren't going to last". And then I found those awesome curtains at Target on the Clearance rack for $4.98 each, and I knew that it was meant to be. I just love orange and blue and brown for boys. So I tried to think of a mural I could do, but everything was so blah. I mean... cars?

And then I thought, "What about Godzilla eating a plane full of screaming people while the Nissan G-cars and Harley motorcycles from the curtains drove by?



And since then, I've just dreamed of getting the four child-free hours needed to do it.

And now it's done. Thank you, Nina and Big Ben! It was a great day and a great birthday, and my gifts will keep on giving for a long, long time.

p.s. Yes, I know Godzilla needs another coat of navy. I only had 4 hours, people!

6 comments:

Leslie said...

Well kiss your Da and Mother for me cuz that was an awesome prezzie. Great job on t-rex's room!

kristin said...

what a wonderful present and an awesome mural! you deserve a wonderful birthday, I'm glad you had one...

can I have some mac and cheese??

Alan & Kim said...

Loved reading about our somewhat parallel life. I've been coerced into reading Disney princess sticker book more times than I can imagine. And there's no words!

We're trying to decorate a baby boy room in dinosaurs. But this involves avoiding repainting the lime green color that was previously the princess'es room. I think a navy Godzilla would be perfect! Great idea and great painting!
-Zippy

miss. chief said...

"Revenge of the Glittery Purple Anthropomorphised Tiara" made me laugh out loud. Like, really. Not like when people say "lol" but actually are just smiling on the inside.
I think the wall looks great!

EttyOop said...

glad your birthday was so nice :-)

LOVE the mural...

Velvet said...

Am I the only one slightly pouty that the Real Life mural doesn't have the captions? Because painting OMGWTFBBQ on your boy's wall would be made of 100% pure WIN.

But it's still a rockin' mural, so you win anyway :)