Monday, June 1, 2009

jump.


My child has started jumping.

Jumping off things, jumping over things, jumping on things. Jumping while wearing a plastic pirate hat. Jumping into puddles. Jumping through the parking lot while I hold her tiny, sweaty hand and discuss traffic safety.

Jump. Jump. Jump. So SO high!

I just think it's marvelous. I believe adults need to jump more. For the simple pleasure of jumping.

So tomorrow, I double dog dare you to find something interesting and jump off it, or on it, or in it. Just for the pure physical joy of jumping, feeling your body move through space for no purpose other than because you chose to jump at that exact moment in time.

When your feet leave the earth, just for a second, you'll feel 3 again.

Just make sure you land on even ground with your knees bent, or you'll totally get a Charley horse or have to go to the chiropractor or acupuncturist, or whatever the old fogies do, and it won't be my fault.

Still, it'll be worth it.

Oh, and don't jump if you're pregnant, because my grandmother says that jumping while pregnant will make the umbilical cord wrap around the baby's neck. And she also believes that sleeping with wet hair makes you sick, which explains a lot about me, actually.

Anyway.

Go. Jump.



p.s. Tomorrow: I Went to the RenFaire and All I Got Was This Stupid Picture of a Urinating Cow.

5 comments:

faemom said...

Super cute post! It's amazing what simple joys we miss out on when we become too adult.

Leslie said...

I get jumping, I jump down a 30 foot stairwell when I was about 7. I will jump into my truck this morning. That said, I spent a lot of time in the casualty depts due to jumping children. Love it, thanks for the early morning grins.

carma said...

This is so true. We forget to have fun as we grow up. My son who is 13 still jumps all over the house. He sets up the mini trampoline and tries to reach the ceiling!

charissimo said...

Unfortunately, after birthing a child with a head the size of a cantaloupe, I piss myself every time I jump. Can I do something else instead?

Caroline D. said...

dude. totally. great picture!!