Thursday, July 17, 2008

it.... hurts....

I totally don't get it.

I was at TJ Maxx Homegoods today, which is a store composed 50% of clothes/shoes and 50% home decorating items. The things chicks dig most. If you're in there at 2:30 on a Thursday, it's because you have extra cash to burn, and you either don't work or have the day off work. So your situation is better than 90% of the world.

And yet the store is full of frowning women. With those incised marionette lines. Carts loaded with extraneous merchandise, eyes empty. Mirrors and candles and kitchen doodads and new shams for the guest bedroom and swim cover-ups. Things that should bring happiness, or at least a cozy little "Pretty thing!" sparkle. And they're all totally miserable.

I wanted to lay the smackdown on everyone I passed. I just wanted to stop and tickle them, or poke them in the belly, or do the chicken dance. Or hand them a puppy. Just to see if they *could* smile.

Is this another rant? Maybe. I'm just saying that there's a lot to smile about, and if what you're doing doesn't make you smile, do something else. If shopping is so horrible, get a pedicure. Go eat some bread at La Madeleine. Call a friend. Get a kitten. Take my cat! Please. Something.

I know we all go through rough patches, but I hope that when i'm 50, i'll have smile lines instead of frown lines. That's all i'm sayin'.

No comments: