Thursday, May 22, 2008

the wisdom of Coop

Special Agent Dale Cooper once said,
"Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen."

And I try to live by the wisdom of Coop.

For example, yesterday, I heard one of my very, very favorite songs on the radio, Africa by Toto. When I hear this song, it has an amazing emotional and physiological effect, calming me, making me smile, bringing down my blood pressure, making me feel like i'm on a shady hammock in the afternoon. Hearing this song makes my day, and the possibility of hearing it is the only reason I keep 98.5 on my radio presets. And I realized... I could go to iTunes and download that song and listen to it all day. But right now, every time I hear it, it's my present. I spend every moment in the car listening for that one song, and when I hear it, it's like a dreamy gift of fate and the gods, reminding me how sweet life is.

Or, for another example, birthday cake. I freakin' love birthday cake. I'm like the Cookie Crisp dog, but for birthday cake. Or wedding cake. But it has to be real, handmade cake, not those fluorescent green monstrosities from Wal-Mart. I would go to the wedding of Rush Limbaugh and Paris Hilton, if they were going to have really good wedding cake, and they're the two most annoying human beings I can imagine. And I could bop on down to Cakes by Darcy right this second and buy any freakin' cake I wanted to, honestly. I could eat cupcakes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and I could keep a giant sheet cake reading "Happy Bar Mitzvah, Schlomo" in the fridge to nibble nightly. But I don't, because when I actually get cake, it's my present.

Today, I had lots of presents. I got 10 hours of sleep. I got to go to The Coffee Park and talk to a friend for 3 hours while eating a tasty lunch and having the best chai latte around. And then another friend showed up and *GAVE* me her Coffee Park membership, meaning that no matter how horrible life gets, I can count on 8 hours a week of safe and loving childcare while I paint, read, talk or cry with the best chai latte around. And *then* I got to go to the playground, and *then* my daughter fell asleep, and *then* I got to eat a lime popsicle, and *now* i'm sitting in my beautiful living room, blogging on my new laptop.

LIFE IS FREAKIN' SWEET, PEOPLE!!!

Like Coop, I seem to get lots and lots of presents every day, many of which I never expect. Part of being a grownup is knowing that I can buy perfect songs on iTunes or eat cupcakes for breakfast, but that withholding such treats until needed or given is even better.

And so i'll leave you with another of my favorite quotes from Dale Cooper of Twin Peaks, one that pretty much sums up my feelings about life in general:

I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.

3 comments:

Blair said...

Twin Peaks FTW. :)

stinestrain said...

sure as kilmanjaro rises like olympus above the serengeti ;)

delilah said...

I always thought it was "rises like an empress", which is still culturally incorrect, but much less annoying to one's sensibilities...