Tuesday, February 19, 2008

little girls, little girls

I'm unfortunately not one of those folks who was trained to keep an immaculate house. When I was a kid, there were glasses under my dad's side of the bed that contained entire complex and scientifically advanced cities of fungus. But I am completely dumbfounded by the ability of small children to muck up a clean house. In expectancy of our neighborhood playgroup this morning, I spent an hour last night tidying up, washing handprints off kitchen appliances, scraping raisins off the floor, sweeping, etc.

And she's only been awake an hour, but they are all mysteriously back! Seriously! Little ghostly handprints everywhere, and new raisins stuck to the floor, and she didn't even have raisins for breakfast. So I have to go clean again.

I believe I speak for mothers everywhere when I say,
a) WTF?!?
and
b) those chicks in the Chlorox commercial who erase fingerprints with one wryly smiling aesthetic swipe of a bleached white hand towel are a cruel hoax.

One swipe, my ass. Scrub, scrub, scrub. Oh, these dishpan hands!

No comments: