Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Tee! Baws! TEE!! BAWS!!!!


That's what Cleo says every time she comes downstairs and sees the Christmas tree lit up. She thinks the ornaments are balls, obviously, just like oranges. It's so nice to have a real Christmas tree, with the real smell, and lots of shiny ornaments. I had no idea how much it would captivate her! We hope to find a way to relate the magic and joy of the holiday season without too much consumerism or proselytizing or sugar. Is that even possible?

Another new notch on Cleo's vocabulary is "oooh, caw!", which she says every time she sees our kicka$ new car, a 2008 Toyota RAV4. We are both overjoyed by our shiny Big Bertha, who is mucho safe and gets 21 - 27 mpg and is big enough to keep me from feeling like a tubercular zebra at the watering hole. I love her expansive windshield, which is at least twice the size of my old Civic's. And the cargo space is awesome for all of my baby junk and groceries, and i'll finally be able to tote canvases over 2 feet, which is rad. I loaded 6 CD's into the changer today and totally rocked out. It's hilarious-- my favorite CD at the end of my pregnancy was Red Hot Chili Pepper's Stadium Arcadium, and now it's certain to put her to sleep whenever she hears it, even when it's loud and thumping. Very handy, that.

In spite of hardship and sadness, the tree still sparkles and the car still smells new, and i'm left thinking of an old quote from The Tick:
And so, may evil beware, and may good dress warmly and eat plenty of fresh vegetables.

No comments: