Thursday, November 22, 2007

You Are My Rewritten Sunshine

Like so many mamas, my go-to song for sleep and general calming is "You Are My Sunshine". But have you ever listened to the lyrics? It's the most depressing song since 'Wannabe' by the Spice Girls. So I have created my own lyrics to make the experience more palatable (and longer listening) for Cleo. I suppose they could also be considered a bit of an AP manifesto, although they are easily altered for different philosophies. And here they are.

Regular chorus:
You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You'll never know, dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away

The other dawn, dear, when we were waking
And you were snuggled up so near
When you rolled over and called me 'mama'
It was music to my ears

(Chorus)

The other morning, when we were playing
You had the brightest, widest smile
And then my heart swelled with joy and thanks, dear
I'm so glad you are my child

(Chorus)

The other noon, dear, when at the playground
You tried out all the slides and swings
I was so happy watching you explore, dear
And learning lots of new things

(Chorus)

The other day, dear, when we were walking
And on my back I carried you
We saw the world, dear, in all its wonder
And we both enjoyed the view

(Chorus)

The other evening when you were nursing
With your sweet hand upon my face
I was so glad, dear, to help you grow strong
With strength and health and grace

(Alternate for non-nursers or babies on solids:
The other evening when you were eating
With lots of food smeared on your face, etc.)

(Chorus)

The other night, dear, when we were sleeping
I dreamt I held you in my arms
And when I woke, dear, you were beside me
So I turned my head and smiled

(Chorus)

And now i'm yawning myself.

No comments: